Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Don Chow Tacos

Today for lunch I tried Don Chow Tacos for the first time, and it definitely won't be my last encounter with their Chinese-Mexican fusion cuisine. I initially found out about them through Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives show. It was a slight adventure finding them, as the truck had to move due to Pasadena parking enforcement. I found them outside Pasadena City Hall, and ordered two kung pao chicken tacos ($2 each) and two bbq pork chimales (Chinese tamales) ($4 each).

My half-eaten chimale (Click to Enlarge)

The first thing I tried was the bbq pork chimale. It was more or less what I expected, though the bbq flavor was very strong to the point it was a little overpowering. The sweet bbq wasn't a huge hit with me, since I generally don't consume sweets. However, the rest of the chimale was delicious. The salsa on top was definitely a nice touch and holds it all together.

My kung pao chicken tacos (Click to Enlarge)

I finished my lunch off with the two kung pao chicken tacos (medium spicy). The tacos were small and double-wrapped, which is typical of taco truck tacos. I would have to say this was the highlight my of meal. The chicken was wonderfully seasoned and had enough kick to satisfy. The onions and cilantro finished the taco well and definitely made the tacos something to try again with a different meat.

For information on when Don Chow Tacos will be near YOU in the LA area, check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment