Monday, August 12, 2013

Chinese Classical Music Audiences Suck

When I go to a classical music concert, I go to see the performance, and I'm usually not pleased with the audience. It seems that half the audience is sick and the other half is unwrapping candy. I can usually ignore it and enjoy the performance, but when I went to a concert in Beijing a couple of weeks ago, the audience was the worst I had ever seen.

The audience looked like it just came from a game of basketball or a nice nap. Many people were wearing their everyday clothes, while I fell it's appropriate to dress up a little bit and be presentable, instead of a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals or a tank-top and basketball shorts.

Also, Chinese people tend to not care about many things related to authority, so naturally many of them had their cell phones out and some of them were even taking pictures (and even a few with flash!). Of course I was not pleased.

Between pieces there was also a lot of introductions of the upcoming piece, which I feel is also not appropriate. I can understand that the Chinese audience may not be very educated about classical music, but put that in the program notes (or maybe even have a program...).

Note to self: don't do this again...

No comments:

Post a Comment