Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"I Miss You"

Emotions are tricky business, because we react differently to the same situation; because we have different values brought about by our upbringing. We've been conditioned to say certain things in certain situations, saying our goodbyes (and the occasional "I'll miss you") before parting ways and our greetings (usually with "I've missed you") upon meeting again.

I've spent my life saying "I'll miss you" before shortly falling out of touch, losing tabs on other people that I had spent time with. I've been conditioned to be almost indifferent on the inside, to always accept moving on from the past and look towards the future, because that's what we can change.

This separation never really pulls on my emotions; my heart. I had never really understood how separation can sometimes cause people anguish and anxiety. Previously it had just been a handshake or hug and a goodbye, and then maybe I'll run into them again in a few years and we'll chat and catch up a little bit before parting ways. Never a tear shed, rarely a moment of thought of what could have been, what should have been done.

But this time is different; I have felt the pains of separation and the pulls on the heartstrings. I've discovered that you can miss someone so much that it actually hurts; that causes tears to freely flow. It's the most emotion that I can remember feeling at one time, and it showed me what it really is like to be human. Sometimes life really sucks, but this time there is so much more to "I miss you" and "I can't wait to see you again", even if I don't know when we'll next meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment